Overview: The Other Wes Moore One Name, Two Fates by Wes Moore is a New York Times bestseller that has recently been used as required reading at both universities and high schools. This book is divided into three parts: Part 1: Fathers and Angels, Part 2: Choices and Second Chances, and Part 3: Paths Taken and Expectations Fulfilled. Critical thinking questions, thought-provoking quotes, and themes will be explored while reading and responding each week. While this book has been used at both the high school and university level exploring themes of identity; personal values; decision making; loss, faith, and redemption; peer, parent and community support; and goals, it is an important book for educators as well because educators help shape and support students in a positive direction with all of these themes.
Required text: Purchase a copy of the text at Amazon by clicking on the button below. The text is required for this course.
[button size=”long” url=”https://www.amazon.com/Other-Wes-Moore-Name-Fates/dp/0385528205/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1501099913&sr=8-1&keywords=the+other+wes+moore#” open_new_tab=”true” text=”Purchase book at Amazon” icon=”” type=”warning” bottom_margin=””]
“Prior to Starting the Book Study: What You Will Need”
MRESC Book Studies: Powered by Google Classroom (Simple, Easy & Accessible from Every Devise)
Google Account? To participate in the MRESC Online Book Studies, you will need to have a G-Suite for Education** account, or a personal Google account.
Important Note for G-Suite For Education Users: If you plan to participate in the online course using your district account, you must do the following prior to the start of the class
(1) Notify Your Building Administrator & IT Department that you would like to use your G-Suite for Education account.
(2) Request that the District confirm it has “White Listed” the Educational Service Center domain (mresc.org). If this step has not been completed, you will not be able to accept the Google Classroom invitation or course code at the start of the class.
(3) Make sure your district has given educators the ability to “join classes” created from outside organizations. Google Classroom’s “default” settings prohibit the joining of classes from outside your school.
- What if the District I Am Unable to Use My District G-Suite Account? If you are not authorized to use your G-Suite for Education account for the online book study, you will need to utilize a personal Google account for the course.
- Setting Up Your Personal Google Account: If you do not have a G-Suite for Education Account (or are unable to use your district account), you will need to utilize a personal Google Account for the course. You can create your personal google account at https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?hl=en. During the account creation process you will have the ability to utilize an existing email address as your username and account email.
When Will I Receive More Information from the MRESC Registrar Regarding Class? Approximately five (5) days prior to the start of your course, paid registrants (PayPal, Credit Card, or by Purchase Order) will receive an email from the ESC requesting that you confirm the email address for the associated Google Account that you will be using for the duration of the course. Important: Our team, will use this email to link the course to your Google Account, and send you an invitation (or custom course code) to join the course.
- Signing Into the Class: On the first day of class you will receive an invitation or custom course code to login to the online book study. You will receive this invitation from the MRESC Registrar or Book Study Facilitator. For additional information on how to “join” a class, please go to: https://support.google.com/edu/classroom/answer/6020297
Interested in More Information about Google Classroom: Click on the Button Below
[button size=”long” url=”https://classroom.google.com” open_new_tab=”true” text=”Learn More About Google Classroom” icon=”” type=”shadow” bottom_margin=””]