Overview: How can we ensure that all students, regardless of cultural background or socioeconomic status, are granted equitable opportunities to succeed in the classroom and beyond? In Keeping It Real and Relevant: Building Authentic Relationships in Your Diverse Classroom, author and veteran educator Ignacio Lopez offers hard-won lessons that educators at all levels can apply to teaching, assessing, counseling, and designing interventions for learners from all walks of life. These insights are all rooted in the same core principle: building deep and meaningful relationships with students is the key driver of their success.
In addition to examining the pivotal role of relationship-building among teachers and students in preparing the latter to perform at the highest level, this book offers:
- Real-life examples of challenging classroom situations, each with a detailed breakdown of how they were peacefully and non-punitively resolved;
- Strategies for designing learning environments suited to the individual needs of students and reflective of their cultural backgrounds;
- Ideas for scaffolding students as they experience and internalize epiphanies about what works and what doesn’t, both academically and behaviorally; and
- Activities and reflection questions for use in professional development.
Many teachers find balancing the needs of increasingly diverse classrooms made up of learners from increasingly diverse backgrounds to be a difficult and often thankless task—and one that takes precious time away from instructional planning. Here, Lopez outlines simple but ingenious steps for addressing these needs holistically, in a way that takes no extra time yet amply enhances the learning experience for students. Clear, practical, and much-needed, Keeping It Real and Relevant is the ultimate blueprint for creating a harmonious and successful classroom for kids of all colors, creeds, and cultures.
- Required text: Purchase a copy of the text at Amazon by clicking on the button below. The text is required for this course.
[button size=”long” url=”https://www.amazon.com/dp/1416624406/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_dp_T2_VMkEzb9W7NMHK” open_new_tab=”true” text=”Purchase book from Amazon” icon=”” type=”danger” bottom_margin=””]
“Prior to Starting the Book Study: What You Will Need”
MRESC Book Studies: Powered by Google Classroom (Simple, Easy & Accessible from Every Devise)
Google Account? To participate in the MRESC Online Book Studies, you will need to have a G-Suite for Education** account, or a personal Google account.
Important Note for G-Suite For Education Users: If you plan to participate in the online course using your district account, you must do the following prior to the start of the class
(1) Notify Your Building Administrator & IT Department that you would like to use your G-Suite for Education account.
(2) Request that the District confirm it has “White Listed” the Educational Service Center domain (mresc.org). If this step has not been completed, you will not be able to accept the Google Classroom invitation or course code at the start of the class.
(3) Make sure your district has given educators the ability to “join classes” created from outside organizations. Google Classroom’s “default” settings prohibit the joining of classes from outside your school.
- What if the District I Am Unable to Use My District G-Suite Account? If you are not authorized to use your G-Suite for Education account for the online book study, you will need to utilize a personal Google account for the course.
- Setting Up Your Personal Google Account: If you do not have a G-Suite for Education Account (or are unable to use your district account), you will need to utilize a personal Google Account for the course. You can create your personal google account at https://accounts.google.com/SignUp?hl=en. During the account creation process you will have the ability to utilize an existing email address as your username and account email.
When Will I Receive More Information from the MRESC Registrar Regarding Class? Approximately five (5) days prior to the start of your course, paid registrants (PayPal, Credit Card, or by Purchase Order) will receive an email from the ESC requesting that you confirm the email address for the associated Google Account that you will be using for the duration of the course. Important: Our team, will use this email to link the course to your Google Account, and send you an invitation (or custom course code) to join the course.
- Signing Into the Class: On the first day of class you will receive an invitation or custom course code to login to the online book study. You will receive this invitation from the MRESC Registrar or Book Study Facilitator. For additional information on how to “join” a class, please go to: https://support.google.com/edu/classroom/answer/6020297
Interested in More Information about Google Classroom: Click on the Button Below
[button size=”long” url=”https://classroom.google.com” open_new_tab=”true” text=”Learn More About Google Classroom” icon=”” type=”shadow” bottom_margin=””]