With the recent approval of the revised ELA standards, it is important for districts to be sure their curriculum and instruction is aligned to these revised standards. This vertical alignment of the ELA curriculum is critical since the 2017 revised standards will be included on the assessments for the 2018-19 school year.
To assist districts in this process, this online support module will lead districts through this important process.
The process will involve the following steps:
- Identifying changes or additions to the grade level standards
- Vertical alignment of the standards across grade levels
- Establishing or confirming priority standards
- Establishing important benchmark skills for each grade level
- Planning, developing, and aligning benchmark assessment
There is no doubt that districts are at different places in the process. Some have done most of this work, others may have done some, while others may not have begun any of these steps. This online module allows districts to access the resources they need to complete the steps in the process they need to work on or complete. Districts can utilize the module’s resources to fit their individual needs.
The module is designed to be facilitated and led at the district level. Whether that person is a principal, curriculum director, or lead teacher, the module contains the guidance and resources necessary to lead the process. Each step in the process will be supported with resource documents, templates, and web links to additional resources. The steps will also include guidance on how the district can support and implement the work at the district level for each part of the process. The framework is designed to allow districts to plan and focus on the process where they are currently with their curriculum alignment work.
- Analyze and identify the updates to the 2017 revised ELA standards at each grade level.
- Analyze the vertical alignments for the various strands of the ELA standards across grade bands and identify gaps across the grade levels.
- Address and complete any gaps in instruction across the grade levels.
- Analyze the Vertical Alignment documents for each standard area and prioritize the standards being taught at each grade level.
- Utilizing the identified, prioritized, and critical standards, establish important benchmark skills and knowledge students must master at each grade level.
- Plan and develop benchmark assessments for each grade level to assess mastery of important benchmarks.
- Review and evaluate the curriculum and instructional resources and practices to ensure the critical components are present in the classroom to allow students to successfully master the priority standards.