Today, safety takes on a greater role than ever in the workplace. With today’s competitive global markets, profit margins are thin. With our litigious (sue-happy) society, accidents may result in hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages and legal fees. Injuries are lost time, lost productivity, and lost money. Insurance and worker’s compensation rates paid by employers are based on the employer’s record of workplace accidents and severity of injuries.
This means students must take safety seriously and understand everything related to workplace safety. This module includes lessons that address the different components of workplace safety.
- Understand the importance of workplace safety.
- Identify and describe the agencies that regulate safety in the workplace.
- Understand and utilize the 8 communication techniques and explain the importance of non-verbal communication.
- Compare and explain the safety responsibilities of both the worker and employer.
- Explain and interpret Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
- Identify hazardous materials symbols and signs.