Digital Interactive Notebooks (DIANs) –
Date: December 12th @ Logan County Electric Co-Op
“The Google Age of Notebooks”
Many teachers have found the power of using interactive notebooks to increase student engagement and learning. There have been many books and case studies around the success of interactive notebooks. However, there are some challenges with them as well. Cutting and gluing pages, keeping track of the physical notebooks, and having pages get ripped out of the notebook are just a few challenges many teachers have faced as they have implemented interactive notebooks.
With the increased use of Google and the Google Apps for Educations (GAFE), interactive notebooking can now enter the digital age. This practical session will guide teachers through the steps of creating, implementing and managing digital interactive notebooks (DIANs) using the various Google tools. The flexibility and possibilities are endless when you transform interactive notebooks into a digital format. This session is appropriate for any subject in grades 4-12. It is most powerful for district who utilizes Google as a platform with their students, but anyone is welcome to come and learn how they can implement this new format in their classroom. Participants must bring a laptop/Chromebook to the session and have either a personal or classroom Google account.
Presenter: Dave Shellhaas, Curriculum Director, Midwest Regional ESC
- Participants will gain a general understanding of how interactive notebooks incorporate effective instructional strategies.
- The session will model the use of digital interactive notebooks to instruct the session.
- Participants will learn how to integrate several Google tools to create dynamic, digital, interactive notebooks for their classroom.
- Participants will receive a digital interactive notebook template that they can customize for their individual classrooms.
- The session will guide participants through the process of customizing their DIAN template so they can leave with a DIAN framework they can implement immediately.